Friday, June 29, 2007

Ethical Issue: What is Food?

How is food produced? Why don't we eat spiritually and culturally? Can we improve on our health in the future? These are all question that I ask myself as i sit here and eat my fast food subway sandwich. why has our world come to this? Why is it okay that we have fast food on more than every corner? Is this the new world that we have to get used to? Is it going to change? Is the world going to become more obese now or can we change?
I can remember back when I was a little girl and my grandma would tell us that it was so important for us to cook great meals for our families. She would spend hours in the kitchen cooking home made Italian food, southern food and sometimes American food. To me it was a great cultural experience and now that I am living in my own home it seems that cooking dinner, which happens only so often, is the only meal you cook at all. I wish that i could keep my grandma in my back pocket and pull her out to help me come up with great breakfest, lunch and dinner meals.
Just think obesity is on the rise in our country and most people want to blame it on fast food. Michael Pollan says that we should look at the nutrients in the food we are eating. If you think about it subway is considered a fast food but yet it is healthy and has great nutrients for you. So I think that the obesity problem is junk fast food plus lack of exercise. In my mind I see people that I know and they are always hurting for money but they eat fast food 3 or even 4 meals a day. To me i think that going to the grocery story and buying food and then going home and making it you would save more, look and feel better. I could probably say that eating at restaurants is not very good for you, well at least the chain restaurants. I used to work at red Lobster and we would get shipments in and stuff and just looking at it get cooked know what it was is just not pleasant.
Yet i cant stop thinking that we have a real problem on our hands. Why is it so hard for our country to eat healthier? I can only remember having great meals at my house when we had lots of people coming over. I can sit here today and remember that and look at today and say wow I am just like my mom. I only cook when there are people over and they ask me to cook. I admit i eat out a lot. My fiance eats out everyday at work and to me that would get old but than it hits me it is old and i eat out too.
Michael Pollan says we should eat only foods with nutrients in them and I agree but I also think that we should eat foods that are part of our culture. Like I am Italian and I want to eat pastas and bread sticks. Mix it up to don't just stick to one culture, try them all see how great they are. I think that Michael Pollan has a point that we should add nutrients to our meals so add them to your cultured food you choose to eat. Add some exercise to your life, eat less fast food, and cook more at home.
So the questions still stand: How is food produced? Can we improve on the way we eat in the future? Can we start to eat spiritually and culturally? Can we drive by all the fast food corners? These are all questions you should keep in mind. Do we want our country to become obese because were lazy and wont exercise?

2 comments:

Larry Frolich said...

Karie,
I think that your essay is exemplary, and brings up very important
issues. The
two features that I liked the most about your essay was how you
incorporated
your own life experiences, using your grandma as an example, as well as
incorporating other people?s perspectives, such as Michael Pollan. I
would
have to say that two things that could be improved are just some
grammatical
errors, and making the paragraphs flow into an essay style format. This
essay
made me reflect upon the rhetorical questions that were brought up in
the
essay, especially ?how is food produced?? I thought it was interesting
that
you also added that you can add different nutrients to food and apply
it to your
specific culture. Well done!

from Tamara James

desertfiddlekate said...

I enjoyed your essay. First of all, I liked how you added a personal touch by talking about your own experiences, e.g. how you fondly remember your grandma's style of cooking and food. Also, I think you brought up a good point that the American food problem is not solely the fault of fast food. Rather, it is a mixture of that and other things, like lack of exercise, a higher-fat diet, and easy access to fast food. If you were to improve anything, I would encourage you to double-check grammar. Until I read your essay, I had not thought about the fact that many people continually eat fast food, despite that we are tired of the same old (junk) food. It becomes a habit, rather than an enjoyable experience. Also, I liked how you talked about how those who are raised eating certain cuisines should be encouraged to continue eating them. Overall, I enjoyed your essay very much. Good job!
Katie Meyers